ballyduffcns.scoilnet.ie

Ballyduff Central National School Co Kerry

School History

Ballyduff Central National School

In 1835, there were 3 hedge schools in Ballyduff.  Parents had to pay a small fee and the teachers taught the children the 3Rs – Reading, wRiting and aRithmetic.

School in the Old Days

Ballyduff Boys’ and Girls’ School was built in 1839.  Mrs. Staughton of The Great House in Ballyhorgan gave the land on which to build the school.

The school building consisted of two classrooms in the Boys’ School one with a gallery and desks.  The Girls’ School was one large room.  There was a porch at the entrance to each school.  The children hung their coats and the turf was kept here during the winter!

 

Ballyduff Central N.S.

The present building was opened in 1966 as separate Boys’ and Girls’ schools.  They were amalgamated in 1982 to form Ballyduff Central N.S.

An extension was opened in 1985 with the P.E. hall, 2 upstairs classrooms, library, staff room and offices added.

 

The school playground was resurfaced in 1998.

From 2000 to 2010 computers and broadband internet access were added and Interactive Whiteboards were installed in each classroom.  Pupils from 3rd to 6th classes were provided with USB Memory Sticks and 6 computer workstations were installed in each classroom.

Double glazed windows, doors and screens were installed in 2002.  In 2008 the play area was extended with 600 m2 of safety matting.

Change to school entrance, resurfacing of Basketball court, installation of disabled toilets and lift access to upstairs were all completed in 2010.

Water conservation measures, resurfacing of school roofs and major electrical improvements including rewiring of the school was  carried out in 2011/12.

In Summer 2015 following the amalgamation of Ballyduff Central N.S. and Rathmorrel N.S. Ballyduff N.S. was formed.